Monday, October 23, 2006

Harvest Moon Festival

There are several cultures here in Singapore that live side by side and celebrate their holidays together. One of the largest groups here on the island are the chinese, they make up almost 60% of the population and celebrate in big ways. One of the first festivals we have been able to participate in is the Harvest Moon Festival. It lasts about one month and ends with the full moon in October. Businesses give customers moon cakes made of lotus, green tea, durian or any other number of fillings (including ice cream). These gift cakes are a BIG deal and can cost up to $100.00...that's alot of YOKE! Get it...ok, I need to explain. Moon cakes are made with yoke and without. The cakes with yoke have egg yokes that are in the center like moons, don't worry they are cooked!
I have decided that I am not a huge fan of moon cakes and the cakes Larry was given were passed on to our housekeepers. They were very happy to have them! Before you ask, yes, I have tried them and I think the lotus cakes taste like fig newtons...a little blah! The link I pasted below has the story of how mooncakes came to be a pat of the festival.

Here is a picture of the ones that were given to Larry:




Jordan was learning about the harvest moon festival in his Madarin class at school. He and a friend were so excited about seeing ChangEr in the sky that the proceeded to ask the driver about the moon goddess. He could not tell them the story so they told him! He laughed about the two caucasian boys in the back telling him about a chinese fable. It was a moment that I don't think I will soon forget.

Here is a good link to help you if you would like to learn more about the fables associated with the moon festival:

http://allmalaysia.info/msiaknow/festivals/midautumn/default.asp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment