Monday, October 23, 2006
Little India is a place I really like to visit here in Singapore. I don't really know why but, I find the atmosphere to be intoxicating. Ok, some will say it's intoxicating for other reasons...but I think it's fun and really interesting.
Jordan's class took a field trip there last week and the kids had a great time. They tried some indian food, walked around the wet market, visited a temple and then shopped in the Deepavali market for some things.
I have found that if you ask nicely, the people are usually very willing to help you or share things with you about their culture. When we were walking around the wet market the kids were gawking at the booths but not asking questions. I asked one of the men if he could show the kids the crabs he had and if he would take a picture with the students. He offered something more...he wrapped a crab for them and let each one take a picture holding this large crab. He was so nice to them and they got a kick out of it too. 
Then later, we walked on to the temple and I stopped to ask a garland maker if the kids could watch. He said yes and we talked about what the garlands are for and took a couple of pictures. (I told them that the garlands are given each day as a token to the Gods. This is how the families ask the Gods to bless them daily) As we were leaving, he called the group back and gave each of them a fresh flower. I am sure he thought they would just take it home but they didn't!! As we entered the temple, the children all took the flower they had just been given and placed them on the alter next to the goddess Ganesh. It was very interesting that they chose to do this without anyone telling them to! Then the children watched as the monks were blessing the people in the temple. I would like to go back and get a guided tour from a monk so that I can learn more about the Gods they worship and what each one means to them.
Off to the market the kids went as we shopped for a peacock feather, a candle to represent the oil lamp and a Deepavali card. We even talked some of the ladies into giving each one of them a henna tattoo for 50 cents each.
Jordan, Sarah and Hana at the market:
The tattoos!