Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Wow, I guess it has been awhile since I updated my blog. Where to begin?? I actually have a list of things I want to blog about so I guess I should really get to work on them. Just not yet!
Well, we went to the famous Singapore Zoo on Saturday. The trip up to the zoo was an adventure itself much less the animals at the zoo. Can you say LOST???? Well, I was not lost until a friend of ours used the information he downloaded off the internet. It was really, really wrong! We started out on the subway toward the north end of the island and after 1.25 hours, we arrived at the last MRt station and hopped on the LRT instead of a bus. When we arrived at our supposed stop on the LRT we had been riding public transportation for almost 2 hours and spent 15 Sing to get to the stop. Our next task was to take a taxi from the stop to the zoo...if we could find a taxi!!!! We waited and tried to wave several taxis down but in that area of town the were all hired! Finally, we waved a driver who was on the other side of the road down and he picked us up. Once we were on our way and realizing that the 3Km distance that we were told on the internet was wrong, I asked how lost we were in relation to the zoo. The driver didn't speak very good english but he did say, "yes, I knew you were lost because we don;t get many white people in that area." Ok, I am not accustomed to being called a "white" person!!!! Especially since I am into my summer tan and just a bit dark!!! Well, we finally arrived at the zoo and paid another 7 sing only to find out that the trip from our hotel would have cost us 15sing and taken around 30 minutes!!! Hello, I am not taking that trip again by MRT. I did however find out how long it would take me to get to Jordan's school...right at 1 hour to the mrt in the woodlands then a 1.5KM taxi ride. I sure hope he doesn't have to be picked up from school very often!
So, on to the zoo. All I can say is AWESOME, it is by far the best zoo I have ever been to in the US or abroad. The animal enclosures were very nice and blended to the point that many of the animals were within reach if you really had to touch them. I cannot wait to take our visitors to the zoo! If anyone gets to Singapore, be sure to check it out!
Grrr..I cannot post pictures! I will try again later.