Monday, July 24, 2006
Well, we made it to Singapore and have spent the last day trying to adjust to the time change and setting up a home. The trip was uneventful and really easy. Japan's airport was easy to navigate and Singapore's airport was even easier. First impressions of Singapore are...very clean and friendly. We had a nice ride to the apartment at 2 in the morning and everyone was so nice. I thought it was a little strange that the lobby to the complex is all outside! I will have to take some pictures, but if you click on the great world link to the left, you will see the lobby staircases...that is all outside under a large covered drive. Once you get past that, you go into a large elevator area to get to the apartments. There is security everywhere! We have to use our key to get into the elevator area and a key to use the elevator. You cannot even punch in a floor until you have entered your apartment key. I feel pretty safe.
After unpacking and settling in a bit we went to the mall and the cold storage grocery. The store is pretty good but I really prefer Carrefour over this one. When we were in Dubai I really enjoyed the selection Carrefour had and cold storage just doesn't have alot of stuff. Oh well, I guess I will need to take a trip to Carrefour later this week.
Oh...I almost forgot! I will say that driving on the other side of the road is very confusing!! I really had to think about where we were going as the driver brought us to the apartment. You don't think about little things like this but...you know how we tend to walk on the right? Well, here they tend to walk on the left and the escalators....they are just the same way. Up on the left and down on the right.
Ok, I am sure that some of you are interested in our apartment so I have taken a few pics. As soon as I load them to my computer, I will post them. I will say that this place is about 1/3 the size of our house.
I am going to sign off for a few...it is 5:30 AM (Tuesday) and 4:30 pm on Monday in Houston in case you were curious about the time change.
Check back later...