Monday, February 26, 2007

Indonesia

Cubadek Island...

Well, we had an amazing time in Indonesia! The place was very rustic but so relaxing, once we got over the shock of the drive, back on safe and solid ground.

We arrived in Padang and quickly had our first travel hic-cup when we tried to get our visas. We stood in line and paid but were only given a reciept and not the actual visa! Well, the immigration officer shook his head and called over another officer to assist us. We finally got the visa and headed out to the awaiting car amid a several shildren all touching our bags and then expecting money!

Next, we were told we had a 90 minute drive ahead of us! Well, I would have rather taken the boat to the resort when the drive began to get a bit hairy! We were on two lane jungle roads with lots of blind corners and a driver who was in a huge hurry! I was so glad to be out of the van when we finally arrived at the marina and boarded our boat to Cubadek. The final leg of the trip was only 15 minutes long so we didn't have to wait long! Nanni, greeted us at the dock and showed us to our villa. He then informed us of all the important times and left us to settle in before dinner. I have to say I was very nervous about the food since I was not sure what we would be eating...but, it was fabulous! Jordan was eating so much I was in shock! He ate jack fruit, mangostine, snake fruit (yuck), grouper, snapper, lobster, fish meatballs and a plethra of other fresh fruits and vegetables. The food was what was locally harvested and caught each day. We actually saw the boys diving for our lobsters one day while we were walking along the beach. It was really neat!

The first night we stayed in our villa, we noticed we had a neighbor! He was about 9 inches long and really green!!! I will try to post a picture of him so that you can all see him in his glory! I wasn not sure how I would sleep but we all slept really well! It was actually some of the best sleep we have all gotten in a long time. Maybe the ocean lapping at the edge of the shore and the rain falling on the thatch roof made for the perfect combination, I am just not sure. I actually thought about the people who sleep each night with the sound soother machines next to their beds, now I know why!

Ok, well the second day, we tried our scuba gear on and then headed for the pier. Jordan didn't care for it too much but Larry and I had a great time. The reef here is mostly hard coral and within 20-30feet of water by the shore so it made for really easy snorkeling. We saw lion fish, parrot fish, puffers, triggers, wrasse, a moray eel and countless other reef fish. Jordan had a good time each evening searching through Nanni's fish books to see how many varieties he had observed that day. I have not gotten our little water camera's developed yet but I will as soon as I can.

The rest of our days on the island consisted of snorkeling, reading on the beach, building sand castles, catching hermit crabs and generally just having a great time.

We did go out to one of the other islands on Saturday. I have to say that this was one if not the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life! It was like walking into a postcard! The layers of clear blue water surrounding the beach, the palm trees and the near white sand. We had the best time snorkeling the waters here watching the octopi in the coral heads. Larry would just stand on the edge of the reef and hold Jordan so he could watch. We even saw a cone shell! It was about the size of Larry's foot! Jordan was so excited to see some of the most extreme ocean animals...me, not so much!

Well, after 5 days, we were ready to leave. It was super to be there but a little bit more and we would have gone stir crazy! I told Larry I really enjoyed the peace and quiet...but, I am a suburban/city girl and I need the hustle and bustle of the city!

Check out some of the pictures...I will post the reef pics as soon as I can.
THis is the little fishing village we drove into to catch the boat to the island:



Jordan and Lucas building sand castles on the beach. Some friends of ours also booked a villa during chinese new year and the kids had a great time playing together.



Jordan relaxing in the hammock chair:



Jordan trying to walk out of the water with his fins still on...



Larry holding Jordan while they watch an octopus and the 2 lionfish below him.


There was a market on the road to the marina and Larry took a picture of one of the rambutan vendors selling the fruits from his truck. I really like rambutan, they are a weird hairy friut but taste really good!



Lucas is standing in a hole he dug while the fisherman brings in our dinner one night.


There was a little sand bar not too far offshore and one day Larry carried Jordan out to it, he was so proud of himself to be standing out there he was dancing!



I think that will be it for this post! I will be downloading some more pictures and will post them as soon as I can.

Later,

D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment