Thursday, February 01, 2007
It's been awhile...
Well, things are progressing here in Singapore. We have made some good friends, Jordan loves school (still), Larry's project is getting closer to beginning and I finally feel like I am settling in a bit more. They say you need a good 6 months to get to where you are not so homesick anymore and I think I have finally made it there.
Last week, I began taking Mandarin lessons twice a week and I really enjoy the challenge! I have found that if I don't get the tones correct, I can call someone a horse and scold them when I am really trying to say mother, I can tell someone I am going to water instead of buy something and finally, I have learned how to hold my mouth at just the right angle so that I have no clue what sound I made but my teacher says it's perfect!! No, in all honesty I really do enjoy the classes! I have a friend who speaks Mandarin and she is my personal tutor. I really have fun trying out my words on her and she just laughs when I make a mistake...not at me, with me!! She had a neighbor at her old complex who is from china and wants to work on her english so we will be meeting with her every other week and helping each other out. It would be easier to learn this language if we were in a country where I was forced to speak it but here in Singapore, the majority of the population speaks english. Oh well, I will get there!
Today I feel like I have totally soaked in the culture! Some friends and I went to see the Thaipusam festival. This is a hindu festival where the devotees of Lord Murugan offer their burdens up to the god as well as milk, sandal and flowers. It was fascinating!! The ritual began at 6 am and ends tonight at midnight. The devotees decide what and how they want to give their offering and then make a 4KM walk carrying their burden. We asked a couple of the ladies that were there about the ritual and were told that the individuals complete the ritual for at least 3 years in a row and that there is no age requirement. (We did see several children there with their parents after they had their heads shaved) The individuals make the walk with their families supporting them through prayer, chants and song. It was so fascinating to watch these men and women profess their faith and endure what I think had to be exhausting and painful.
At one point, we walked to the area where the devotees were taking off their burdens and resting. We watched this man sitting on a chair with this elaborate head piece on and piercings all over his body take a cell phone from a family member and start texting to someone!! Talk about old world meeting new world!!
I feel very honored and lucky to have been able to experience this today, the ritual piercings were amazing--there was NO blood! I thought when I heard about it and saw the spikes, that there would be blood as part of this rtual but there was none. Even when the men and women had the piercings removed from their mouths there was no blood. I am still so amazed and fascinated by it all! I am going to post some pictures but be forwarned, they are not for the faint of heart! 


that's all the pictures for now...I have more and will try to post again.
Later...