Monday, November 05, 2007
The pumpkin patch in Clear Lake...
Hanging out in the great world jacuzzi pool...yes, a warm jacuzzi pool in Singapore! 
It sure has been a long time since my last blog! Let's catch you up...
September was a busy travel month. We were in Dubai for a look-see...we thought that we would be moving in January. Then, we were told we were staying in Singapore, then going to Dubai...well, you get the picture! After a month of back and forth, it looks like Larry is going to Dubai in April or Early May and we will go visit after school is out in June. Right now, we are not exactly sure what the plan is for next school year.
Let's see...where else were we in September? I took my parents on a whirlwind tour of Bangkok, one of my favorite places, and then to Saigon where we took a trip on the Mekong Delta. I have posted about this previously so I will not bore you with the details. But, I will try to add some more pictures later in this post. Fast forward to October and it has been very busy!
Jordan just finished up another season of soccer and he had a really great time. However, when we watch him play here, we know that going back to Houston and Fun Fair Soccer is not in his future. Football(soccer)here is so different from what it is back home. Speaking of Jordan, we have been dealing with some minor health issues for the past 2 months. I say minor because the cardiologist, has ruled out his heart and seems to think it is stomach related. Luckily the medicine he is currently on seems to be working...keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer that this is resolved soon.
Ok, on to other October news. We traveled home for fall break and had the opportunity to stock up on some essentials...ok, so they are not really essentials. But, it was nice to pick up some of our favorite things to have here in Singapore. What did we bring back? Chewing gum, taco seasoning, a new set of measuring cups and spoons, Halloween costumes, Candy, our Christmas decorations and a few other odds and ends from the house. It sure does make a difference to see the apartment decorated for the holidays! After arriving back in Singapore, we quickly prepared for Halloween and once again we did high rise trick-or-treating. I can only imagine that children in large US cities celebrate the same way. It is definitely an experience!
We did have a bit of very sad news on Halloween. Our cat Ki-ki died in his sleep at the age of 16. We waited until the 1st to share the news with Jordan since Ki-Ki was his cat. The two of them could be found sitting on the floor together when we were home. In fact, Ki-Ki was notorious for sitting next to Jordan with his paw on his foot...it always struck me as a sweet gesture. I know that Ki-ki loved his little boy and I am so glad that Jordan was able to say good bye to him just a couple of weeks before he died. Oh, and FYI Jordan told me the other day that it's ok Ki-Ki has died, it's the circle of life!
So here we are in November and hmmmm, what can I tell you? Larry's project is now 90 days late and counting. Why is this significant? Well, we were supposed to have gone to Australia for 3 weeks over the Christmas break and now we will not be going. I guess I could go with Jordan, but 3 weeks is a long time to go without Larry. So, we are looking into our options and think that June or July is when we will get to make our big trip down under. Jordan is fine with this news...he wants to stay home for Christmas. I am not sure what we will do since he has 4 weeks off...maybe we we'll fly back to the states. I will keep you posted! Oh, we do have one more trip this month. We are going with a group of friends to Hanoi for Thanksgiving. I will fill you in on the details as we get closer.
Alright, if you have stuck with me to this point, wooo hoooo! I have a few pictures to share.
The first two are pictures taken from the car in Dubai. The large building in the picture just happens to be the Burj Dubai, the tallest building in the world. In fact to make sure it remains the tallest, they are not giving the exact height but have said that they can add many more floors as needed! 
Oh yeah, there is alot of traffic in Dubai! I was driving in these pictures so trust me when I say...I would rather drive in Houston or Singapore any day! Those Dubai drivers are CRAZY!!!!
We celebrated Jordan's birthday in September and invited a few friends over for a sleep over. We took the boys bowling and as you can see, they had a great time! Jordan has some really good friends here and I am so thankful for each and every one of them. Here they are acting a little bit goofy!
Here is Jordan with his friend Neill.
Jordan tried out ice skating for the first time in September. His friend Kevin was there to help him out every step of the way! He did pretty well for a first timer!!
Here is a picture of Larry's rig. This was taken about a month ago so the scaffolding is down now...if I get a new picture I will post one later. 
This is Mr. Williams Jordan's 2nd grade teacher. He is such a nice guy and the kids really love him! Oh just so you know, it was UN day and the kids were allowed to dress in normal (native) clothing. Well, the American children dressed in shorts and t-shirts I guess thats native to them. 
A quick under water picture...
This is a really cool thing. Here in Singapore, there is a small joss stick factory that makes these nativities. Joss sticks are the large incense poles that are burned in the temples. The powder that is used to make the sticks is used to make figurines. They make all sorts of things...ornaments, Chinese Gods, and they are well known in the expat community for their nativities. I have ordered myself a Chinese nativity for the upcoming holiday season. Unfortunately, this is a dying art here and this generation is the last to create these unique crafts. 
I think I will sign out now... I should be back with more in a day or two.
Dot