Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I have been getting a few scrapbook pages completed and thought I would share this one with you. We went to the Festival in October and really enjoyed the lanterns.
I have also been taking my cooking class each month and this past class was great. I have made 2 of the 5 recipes twice in the past couple of weeks and Jordan seems to really like the dishes. One is a chili pepper and cashew chicken dish and the other is a Vietnamese fried rice. If you like lemon grass the rice is excellent.
Vietnamese Fried Rice
Ingredients
A.
2 shallots or 1 onion sliced finely
2 lemon grass stalks (use the bottom half, slice into thin circles)
1 chinese sausage (you can omit this if you cannot find it)
2 cloves garlic minced
B.
12-15 shrimp shelled, deveined and chopped into big chunks
2 squid skinned, and cut into bit sized pieces
C.
2 eggs lightly beaten
D.
1 Cup rice (this is a cup before cooking, cook the night before and use cold)
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp dark soya
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
E.
2 stalks spring onions
2 stalks coriander (you can omit this if you would like, it is a garnish)
Method:
Heat 2 TBS oil in a wok and add (A). Fry until lemon grass is fragrant and onions are soft and pulpy. Add (B) and stir fry until cooked through. Push all ingredients to the side of the wok and add (C) to the center. Do Not mix egg until it is set. Oonce the egg is set, mix with the other ingredients and add (D). Fry for a few more minutes until all ingredients are well incorporated. Garnish with (E) and serve hot.
I will post another recipe later.
Here is a pic that some have seen and others have not. I was browsing my blog and noticed these pictures were not coming up...so I reloaded them! I love the iguana!

Jordan hard at work...notice the webkinz watching him work!
Snake wine...yes, those are snakes in the bottles! Jordan is fascinated by this asian delight...YUCK!!