Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bicycles, chipped teeth and lots of anxiety

The past week has been a fun one for Jordan.  Last weekend he finally got the whole bicycling concept down.  Now, it was not as if he had many opportunities to learn how to ride a bike and for that I am sorry.  (living in the city in a high rise doesn't lend itself to bicycling) But this past weekend, he spent the night with two of his best friends, they received bikes for Christmas and Jordan had a great time taking turns riding around their complex.  We have known for a long time that he was ready to ride.  In fact he had just about mastered the skill last year.  But, we didn't live in a house with ample space for him to ride or to store a bike until now.  So guess what we have to go shopping for?  Could you hear that tongue in cheek worried "mommy" tone in that sentence?  If not, let me tell you why I am worried.  Let's first start with our holiday in Whistler.  Jordan chipped his front tooth carrying his snowboard.  Ok, it was just a little chip but the dentist wanted to either fill it in or file his tooth down.  We chose to file it down since it wasn't too deep.  But, in the course of the dental exam, the dentist (who happens to be a friend of my father's) commented on the fact that he is a boy and this will probably not be the last chipped tooth we have to deal with.  **insert cringe here**  I bravely just smiled and said, "ok, let's file it down."  Well, we arrive home and the day we get back Jordan's friends stop by to see if he can play.  Of course he is excited to go run around the neighborhood with the "boys".  As he is upstairs getting socks, I talk to one of the boys and notice his face is really bruised up.  He proceeds to tell me how he was riding his bike on one of the hills here and flipped over the handle bars!!  **insert another cringe**  He also then smiles at me and I see his front teeth are all chipped/broken in half!  This causes Jordan's other friend to start talking about how many times he has chipped his teeth while playing!!  **I cringe yet again**  I just stand there waiting for Jordan to come back down the stairs and head out the gate...once I go back into the house, I turn to Larry and just shook my head in disbelief!  I really want Jordan to escape the chipped front tooth curse that has plagued (yes, I said plagued) my family for 3 generations.  I guess it is 4 generations now since he has chipped his, just not as severely as I did when I was a year younger than he is now.  Ok, here is a picture of him riding.

 

DSCF2379

Well, not to much to add right now...I will add more as the day goes on. 

 

D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment