Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Trafic in Asia...this is Saigon. The number of scooters outnumber the cars on the road. 
I think I am finally catching up on the things that need to be taken care of around here. But, I wanted to post some pictures that show what we did while my parents were visiting. I talked my parents into going to Bangkok and overall...I think they tolerated the city. I love Bangkok, it is one city where you can experience as much or as little of the culture as you would like. Each time I have gone, I hire a driver to take my group around and this time was no exception. We were picked up by SUPER TAXI! Seriously, the car had super taxi plastered all over it! Our drivers name was Suthin and he has been on TV shows all over the region promoting his car. He can make noodles, coffee and tea all from the comfort of his seat or a short walk to the back kitchen area. He had a microwave, hot water pot, cell phones for us to use in case we were separated and countless other things in his car. It was only missing a toilet! He was a very nice man and taught us a few key phrases for our time out in the market.
Pang = too expensive
NON NON = service
Kep tung = how much
I am not sure I have the spelling correct but they were great little things to know!
Here is the car:
We stayed at the Marriott again and I just love it there, it is quiet and has lush gardens surrounding the pool area. Unfortunately, the pool is not very child friendly and Jordan didn't get to spend much time there.
The Marriott also has a nice dinner show. We sat out one night and watched the performance.
One thing we did experience was a large protest at the airport. When we were leaving the locals, who lived on the land that is now the airport, were protesting the fact that their payments had been stopped by the government. They were threatening to close the airport down if they did not get their money. It was crazy! I took a picture and will have to crop it down in order to show you the number of people that were there. I have never had to walk through so many police and soldiers before and it was a bit scary!
We made it back to Singapore that evening and my parents took a few days to shop and look around. Then we headed to Vietnam for 4 days. We were in Saigon last year and it sure has changed in one year!! Last time, the main drag was under construction or just local shops. This year, it was high end designer boutiques! There is so much growth in Vietnam right now. Once we settled in, we headed to the market. My parents were on a mission to pick up a few things. The next day, we jumped in a van for a 4 hour drive, just like Gilligan, to our boat. We took a tour of the Mekong Delta and I wish we would have stayed longer. In one day we visited a local village, had tea in a local home, went to a handicrafts village and watched people make traditional candy, rice paper wrappers, puffed rice, roofing and these rice thread wrappers. Jordan even had a chance to try his hand to the rice paper wrappers! I would really like to see more of this beautiful country someday.
Here are a few more pictures from the trip:
the family mini van in asia, the record is 5.
The boat in front is the one we stayed overnight on, they were really nice inside! There was a crew of 5 for the four of us.
Jordan and the captain.
Jordan trying to make the rice paper wrappers: 
The puffed rice factory:
This is a floating market along the river. The bamboo poles on each boat show what the vendorshave for sale so that the shoppers know where to go. 
ok, that's it for today.
Jordan has a big project due next week and we need to start working on it. I will post more later!
D