Thursday, January 31, 2008

Hello!!!




I am finally sitting down and loading pictures from Thaipusam on the 22nd. I went with a group of friends to this festival and was again fascinated by the whole event. The individuals participate in this for a minimum of 3 years as a thank you to their God. They walk for at least 4 miles with the elaborate offerings on their bodies. it is incredible to see their faith in action.

Here is what we saw...

We watched this man as he was pierced and then assembled his offering. Many times, we thought he was going to collapse as he was held up by family members. As soon as his alter was finished and handed to him, he was invigorated.



I watched this man as he was walking into the temple very slowly. It was when I looked at his feet, most are barefoot, that I realized why he was walking so gingerly.




His shoes...



It was amazing to see these men, they would walk and then begin to dance with these large pieces and spikes on. The families would sing songs, play instruments and help any way they could.



The participants would also go and have their heads shaved, even this little girl.



One of the Hindu priests:



I really encourage you to seek this festival out in the US, I know it happens in Houston and Seattle...if there is a Hindu community nearby chances are they have this each year. There is a big festival in Malaysia, at the caves...the people climb up these steep walls to give their offerings, maybe next year?

Ok, on to other things. We have been busy here. Jordan is in kickball and starting baseball in a few weeks, Larry is working hard to get the rig out of the yard and I have volunteered to be the baseball commissioner! It has been a bit crazy but I think it will settle down once I have the assessments sorted out this weekend.
I have booked our Spring break trip and a short trip at the end of February. For Spring break we are going to Beijing!!! We are all super excited about this, especially Jordan. He has been wanting to go since we moved over here. I hope it doesn't disappoint him! At the end of February, we are taking a long weekend to Hong Kong. I had gone with the girls last year, Larry has been on business a few times but never had a chance to explore and Jordan just wants to go to Disney HK. It should be fun!

We are also working on our Summer plans...I will let you all know when I know!

I am going to go and work on dinner.
later..
D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment