Tuesday, May 09, 2006

National Teachers Day

I am a teacher! I know that this is not news for those of you who know me but sometimes I forget that I really do teach! I know that sounds odd but it's true; as a 7th grade teacher I hear a lot of this is too hard, I don't want to do this or why do I have to do this? My answers are always the same...It's not too hard if you try, you need to try your best, nothing worth doing is ever easy, you can do it....you get the drift. But at the end of the school year it is really hard to keep that positive attitude when everyone is tired and burnt out! But I had a pick me up today, actually 2! We have this thing called rites of passage at our school; it is an opportunity for our students to show to their families and friends what they have accomplished while at Jackson Intermediate. They spend 3 years collecting papers, certificates and anything else they are proud of in a portfolio and then show a few adults what they have done in 15 minutes. Some students play their instruments, some dance, some sing and others are just proud they have made it to the 8th grade. But today...I was honored and humbled. I had a student last year, he was a good student, good attitude, friendly and pleasant to be around. He invited me to see his presentation and I was so proud of the things he had done on our campus. He played a solo, and then when he was finished he was asked who had made a difference in his life while he was a Jackson. I figured his answer would include one of his math, orchestra or PAL teachers. Boy was I wrong! He said, "Mrs. Greenshield." I didn't know what to think...was he really saying me? When he was asked why he had the best and most flattering thing to say...He said, " because she always pushed me to do the best that I could, to be even a little bit better than I thought I could be and because she was always there to help." Of course I was in tears...I honestly never would have thought the I had any real influence in this young mans life. I guess it goes to show that you never know when you will touch a life as a teacher...you just hope that you do. I know that I didn't say thank you to my teachers who made a difference in my life. I have tried to contact them but they are no longer teaching or have moved away. So I guess the point to this story is to say, if you can say it in person or just say a little prayer, thank the teachers who helped guide you to where you are today. It just might make their day!

Oh, I did say I had 2...I had another one just like the other what more can a teacher ask for??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment